Friday, December 9, 2011

This is especially for my Mother

So my mother always wishes that she was closer so that she could go to my band concerts and things, but since that is not really a possibility, I thought that I would bring a bit of the concert to her. Tonight was the Band and Choir concert at my High School. Now I am not the Band or the Choir teacher, but they let me tag along and feel important now and again - probably as a way of saying thank you for making it so that they don't have to teach the General Music class anymore. (That is what I do.)

Tonight the Women's choir sang a piece that I had originally arranged for my church choir to sing, and the choir director, Ms. Lowery let me conduct the choir and handbells. Then the band played a holiday piece that I actually own - long story about how I ended up with my own band library that I will tell another day - and since it was my piece, the  Band director, Mr. Townes let me conduct that. Then there was an extra surprise for me at the end when I played an African shaker with the choir. (I had never played the instrument before, and had only ever heard the piece once, and I wasn't really listening.)

Anyway, here you go mom:

Veni, Veni, Emmanuel

Trumpeter's Winter Holiday

And me making a fool of myself
   

2 comments:

Annette said...

Oh what a good son!! Thank you, Beki, for recording these and letting me share part of the season with you!!!! I do miss the concerts..There were a couple of years when I had high school, middle school and grade school concerts to attend!!

The Brown Family said...

1. You are SOOO white!! Ha!
2. I've sung that last song - that choir is much more legit... I mean, I group of suburban white kids from Idaho cannot compete.
3. Those two drummers don't mess around.
4. Good attempt with the African maracca... who the hell has ever actually seen one of those things in real life?!!?!?!