Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just a Normal Friday Night

Fridays at are house are usually uneventful. Beki gets home from work, we have dinner, maybe watch Numbers - or the NCAA Basketball Tournament if it happens to be the right weekend - and then go to bed. It isn't very exciting, but it is our chance to unwind and relax. This past Friday we were well on our way to a normal Friday evening, when The Boy decided to spice things up a bit.

While Beki and I were occupied doing something else he somehow managed to get the bottle of Children's Benadryl open. What exactly he did with it was the mystery. We know that he spilled some on the table. because he was cleaning it up with napkins when we found him. What we did not know was how much of it he had actually ingested. About half of the bottle was missing, so it was a significant amount. Beki called Poison control, and then loaded the boy up in the car to go hang out at the hospital, just in case. Now usually when it comes to things involving The Boy and hurting himself, I am the one who is overly protective. Yet in this occasion, while Beki was impatiently waiting in the car, I remembered to grab some pj's for The Boy, his bag, and the actual bottle of what he drank. It was 8:30pm so traffic wasn't bad, and it is nice to know that we can make it to a hospital fairly easily should the need arise - and knowing me and the amount of yard work that I will be doing, the need may arise.

The hospital ladies - I suppose I should call them nurses - were very nice to Owen and they took him back to get his vitals checked out, while I was stuck at the reception desk trying to 1. tell the lady that there is no u in Renberg - yes I am sure, 2. convince her that the boy was born on the 24th of July, not the 26th - again, yes I am sure, and 3. simultaneously watch the NCAA game being broadcast on the TV just over her head, it was challenging, but I can do hard things.


They took us back to a Pediatric room where they could keep and eye on The Boy's vitals, and keep me away from watching any basketball games.


As you can see, they also gave The Boy a bracelet identifying him as Owen, which he thought was pretty neat, because he likes things with his name on it.


Because we didn't know if he had ingested half of a bottle of Benadryl or not, we had to assume yes, so The Boy got to drink charcoal. While charcoal might smell good if it is mixed with the smell of your steak cooking on top of it, the idea of drinking it is not very appealing, even with chocolate mixed in. The Boy was not very cooperative at this point, made evident by the fact that it is all down his chin, and all over mommy.


Just when it looked like we would be spending the rest of our evening and most of the morning water-boarding our son with liquid charcoal, I decided to use my superior negotiating skills, and worked out a deal that The Boy found acceptable - all it cost me was a package of Fruit Snacks! He downed the nasty stuff (and it was a giant cupful) quickly and as you can see, happily enjoyed his Fruit Snack chaser.


In the end he is fine and back to his same old activities, including one of his favorites: Taking pictures of himself!

2 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

Oh my heck! How scary. Did we ever do things like this when we were children? Tyler tells me dozens of stories like this one - it seemed like his parents were always taking him or a sibling to the ER.

I thought I was fairly prepared to have a child - but hearing stories like this (and knowing that my kid will inherit some of Tyler's genetics), I'm not as sure. =D

Glad he is safe and healthy!!

Karen said...

Christopher you kill me! Trying to watch the basketball game while checking your son into the ER! Lol!
Sooooo glad he is okay, how scary! When situations arise with the girls I am always the one who stays super calm and Terry gets all worked up.....weird how that happens when typically with day to day life we are the other way around! =)