Thursday, June 24, 2010

A completed Project, A trip to the Driving Range, and 90 minutes of despair followed by pure joy.

I just finished a project, which is pretty amazing, because I am really good at starting projects, but not so good at actually seeing them through to completion. (Case in point: We put in a new kitchen almost 15 months ago and we still haven't finished the kick-plates along the bottom of the cabinets.) I have been working on the outside of the house this summer - I've allready built a retaining wall that technically isn't finished becasue I need more dirt, but we'll get there - and today I finished a project that I think looks great, but I don't think a lot of people will notice. Here, see if you can tell:

Now, let me show you the before and you might have a better chance of seeing it:

Before I give you the close up of my project, here is why I think you aren't noticing what I have spent days working on. It is something that you would expect to be there, which pretty much sums up most of the things we have been doing to our house. We have spent the last year and a half just trying to get the thing so that everything is like you would expect it to be; things like putting in a laundry room so the washer and dryer aren't in the kitchen. Putting in an actual kitchen. Taking out pointless and and stupid walls and doors. Anyway, here is what I did so you can stop guessing:

Yea for flowerbeds!! (But still, that is something that you would expect to see there)

In more fun news, on Monday my wonderful wife took me to the driving range to hit golf balls for the first time in two years. I have found that as I have gotten older, I hurt in places I used to not hurt. The good news is that I can still hit the ball, though with the aid of my wife who likes to take pictures of me, I was able to isolate some interesting bad habits.

If you zoom in on this picture, my left foot is actually no longer in contact with the ground...I have officially entered the Happy Gilmore zone!

Can you see the club? Serious club-head speed!!

But as fun as it was for me to be hitting golf balls again, the thing that made me happiest of all was that Beki brought her clubs and hit golf balls as well. (So for my 26th birthday my present was Beki getting a set of golf clubs. We went to the driving range a few times, but then she got pregnant, and that was the end of that.) I would like nothing more than to be able to have Beki come and play golf with me (well, maybe have her play video games with me, but we aren't going to go there), so I was hoping that she would be able to hit the ball and have fun. Her first couple didn't really get off of the ground, and she was starting to get that grumbly unhappy look that she gets when she hates something, but then with a few pointers, she started to hit the ball in the air!
Pretty good set-up

She really likes to grip it and rip it! (We need to work on keeping the weight off of the outside of her back foot.)

Overall it was a very successful trip - except for the case of "Golfer's Elbow" that Beki developed. (Yes, there really is such a thing, it is like Tennis Elbow, but on the inside of the elbow instead of the outside - I asked Web MD)


World Cup Update
On Wednesday I went to work with Beki to watch the USA game with her lab. It was the most frustrating, tense 90 minutes of my life (well maybe just this week) and then:

If for some reason you did not watch the match, or have been living under a rock and have not seen this goal, click HERE and watch it... even if you have seen it, you probably want to watch it again anyway. (You should click the "Speed Match" underneath the video player)

No comments: