Friday, June 25, 2010

Quick World Cup Update

Since the boy isn't around, our lives are really quite boring. If it wasn't for the fact that I can watch 4 soccer games a day, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Anyway, before the second round games start tomorrow, here is your update, as well as my predictions:

Quarter Final #1
Uruguay vs. South Korea - Uruguay has been a surprise at the World Cup, let by stout defense and their star player Diego Forlan. (Being in the group with France also helps, since they surrendered early on...) South Korea won 1, drew 1 and lost 1, so they aren't the most consistent.
My Prediction: I root against South Korea, so Uruguay
USA vs. Ghana - 4 years ago Ghana knocked the United States out of the World Cup, so there is some serious payback in order here. Ghana are a young team and they play serious defense, but if we can finish our chances (unlike the match against Algeria) we should be fine.
My Prediction: USA of course

Quarter Final #2
Germany vs. England - This game is a fantastic match-up of two historical foes. Germany still insists that England's goal in the 1966 final didn't cross the line (Modern video technology actually agrees with the Germans), and the English are still bitter about their 1990 semi-final defeat (as well as this time when the Germans bombed London for a few weeks straight.) The Germans started the World Cup with a thrashing of Australia, but then they lost to Serbia before a hard fought victory over Ghana ensured that they would top their group. England have quite frankly sucked, but once you are in the knock-out stages anything can happen.
My Prediction: England, only because I really want them to face Argentina in the Quarter Finals!

Argentina vs. Mexico - Another match-up of two teams that I love to hate. Argentina has looked like the team to beat so far in this World Cup. Mexico played well against France and South Africa, but had a little bit of a step back against Uruguay.
My Prediction: Argentina, they are the better team, and I really want a show down with England in the Quarters.

Quarter Final #3
Netherlands vs. Slovakia - The Slovaks earned a famous victory against Italy to move from last place in the group to second, earning them a date against Holland. The Dutch have been another one of the stars of the competition.
My Prediction: Netherlands, their fans are awesome as well.

Brazil vs. Chile - We almost had a Brazil/Spain match-up here, but Chile laid an egg against Spain, and get to play the Samba Boys in the second round. Brazil have not been as dominant offensively as they have been in the past, but their defense is solid, and they should brush Chile aside easily.
My Prediction - Brazil

Quarter Final #4
Paraguay vs. Japan - Like the rest of the South American teams at the World Cup, Paraguay has played well in all of their games leading up to the knockout stages. Japan scored two of their three goals in the last match from free kicks. They are the first team to be able to score from a free kick, which means that they have figured out the ball. That is a terrifying prospect to any team that faces them.
My Prediction - Japan

Spain vs. Portugal - An Iberian Derby, this match-up is almost as fun as the England/Germany game, and will probably be a better played match. Each team is loaded with stars, so it is really a toss up.
My Prediction - I have know idea...Spain has a tendency to not show up in big games, and I am sure that Portugal's Christiano Ronaldo will dive and earn a penalty kick, so I'll go with Portugal.



No comments: