Monday, June 21, 2010

Not Trying to Kill the In-laws


So yes, I am aware that it has been forever since I last posted an update, but it has been a pretty busy couple of weeks. Beki's parents were here, the World Cup started, it was the last week of school, we shipped the boy to Colorado, and it was Beki's birthday. Now that those things have past, I can play catch-up.

After surviving the trip to the Island, we decided that Beki should take her parents into D.C. to see the city. (I had to work because I am not allowed to take off a day of work anytime within the last 10 days of the school year, awesome huh?) The problem is that Beki's dad, Dickie, is not very comfortable around large crowds. This posed a problem, but Beki came up with a clever solution. They got on the metro at the last stop, so they could get seats without having to worry about a crowded train, and she took them to the Old Post Office Building. The Old Post Office has a clock tower that you can go up in to and see the city. It is the second highest point in the city behind the Washington Monument, so the view was going to be good!


Owen being silly 10 stories up!


Looking over the city with Grandpa and Abuela!

Following the look over the city, Beki took them to the quietest, but still super awesome sight in the D.C. area, Arlington National Cemetery. They rode the little bus up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Amphitheater, and Arlington House.


Sitting on the bus ready to go!!


Owen sitting in the stroller at the Amphitheater.

After a long morning and afternoon, the family traveled back to the car, and then to come and get me from school. On the way the boy decided to take a little power nap...



Because I did not know exactly what time they were coming back to get me, I decided to play a little Basketball with my fellow teachers. They showed up halfway through a game, so they had to wait for a bit. While waiting, Owen discovered...


The Hula Hoop!!!! He tried to spin it around his waist a few times, but that was proving difficult, so he just started to swing it around and roll it on the ground.

While he was playing with the Hula Hoop, I was showing off my mad skillz!


After a pump fake I took it to the hole, earning me the new Nickname Haley's Comet - because I only go past you once every 76 years!!

While Beki and I were at work it was nice for us not to have to take the boy to the babysitter, but instead for him to have someone at home to play with, and play they did!


This is pretty self explanatory...


"Push me higher Grandpa!!"


"Whoa!! Too High!!!!"


"Come on Abuela, down the slide!!"


Then Owen had to show Grandpa his favorite websites...


Owen would put a pillow under his shirt and then jump on Grandpa. They would play this game for hours. Here he had just bounced off and landed on mommy.

Owen's best friend Dean had been out of town for a bit, and since Owen was going to be leaving soon, we had to get those two together before he left. And when Owen and Dean get together, silliness ensues.


One of Owen's favorite Websites is the gummibar.net site (Thanks to Aunt Karen for that one.) Dean and Owen were on their chairs dancing up a storm to the music. We kept waiting for one of them to fall off, but they displayed remarkable agility and balance.


After a morning of dancing, we got the pool out and they were fish for a while.


And after a day of dancing and swimming, what could be better than a homemade Popsicle in your pull-up?

A word about blogging. I have discovered that trying to write a blog while eating Pistachios is very difficult, and I would not recommend it. It has nothing to do with shells falling into your keyboard, instead it is the fact that you need two hands to effectively eat pistachios, leaving no hands to type. That means in order to type you have to stop eating Pistachios....



1 comment:

Tyler and Carisa said...

You're killing me with the pistachios! =D

But I can't wait to see you and little Owen next week!! Wish Beki could come too!